Battle of the Bands is coming to Anime Los Angeles 2019!! It’s your time to shine and rock out on the Main Stage this year! This musical battle of the year will be held on Sunday, January 13th, 2019 on the Main Stage (Exhibit Hall B- Ontario Convention Center) from 1:30pm-4:30pm
As this is a battle of bands, the following performance types will not be accepted (and are encouraged to apply for ALA’s Next Top Star instead)
1) Contestants need to prepare a ten (10) minute set. This should be two songs; the first song an original (if you have one), the second song should be a well-known song. (If your performance goes over the 10 minute limit, points will be docked from your score)
2) At the time you apply, you must have your songs selected, and indicated on the application form (please note that you will also have to provide audio or video links of past performances for reference)
3) Your set should not contain/promote the following:
a) vulgarities, profanities, lewd comments, racist remarks, violence, sexual content,hate speech, etc.
b) Alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons, or any message that may promote a political agenda
4) The following will not be permitted on stage/backstage:
a) No live animals are allowed on stage or in the backstage area except for trained service animals.
b) No materials or effects that will leave a mess on stage are allowed (this includes glitter, confetti, streamers, silly string, fake blood, etc).
c) No pyrotechnics or any other sorts of open flame are allowed
5) The winning band will be chosen from a three judge panel; two songs will be performed, judges will critique the performance and provide feedback with recommendations. Audience participation will factor into the decision.
6) The winning band will perform for Anime Los Angeles Closing Ceremonies (to be held on Sunday, January 13th, on the Main Stage, starting at 5:00 pm) in addition to receiving other prizes (to be determined on site)
7) Anime Los Angeles will not be responsible for injury or damage or theft of personal property.
8) A short script must be provided so the emcee of the competition can introduce your band (no more than 1-2 paragraphs)
The maximum number of points any band can be awarded is 50, based on the following categories:
Technical Proficiency & Musicality : Accomplishment/expertise in music, quality of song, contraction, expressiveness, blend, balance of instruments, and overall musical performance. 1-10 points
Performance & Stage Presence: Confidence, stage presence, response/rapport to crowd, did you enjoy performing and rock out with audience? 1-10 points
Creativity & Appearance: Originality of the music and performance, did you make the music your own? Did you look the part? What creative and unique elements did you incorporate into your performance? 1-10 points
Audience Appeal: Did the audience like the music and your performance? After all, the crowd is the key!!! A larger/louder response = more points earned! 1-20 points
The main stage will have a standard set-up including Projector, Screen, Sound System, and Mics . Laptop connections will be available for standard connections. You must provide your own instruments, amplifiers, and cables.
We do NOT have laptops available for use. You must provide your own.
There will be NO options for last minute or on-site additions. If you have ANY special tech requests beyond what is noted above, you MUST contact us in advance of the convention to determine if we will be able to meet your needs. Please note that the answer may be ‘no’, but if we do not hear about it in advance then we will not be able to accommodate any last minute or on-site requests. This INCLUDES cables, special attachments, batteries, Johnson rods, etc.
If your entry is accepted, you and your band will need to check in backstage @ 11:30am for tech rehearsal and sound check. If you are not present for check in, you may be dropped from the contest at the discretion of the Live Music Department Head
If your performance is accepted, you will be eligible for complimentary Sunday badges for all participating members and stage crew that are listed on the original application (anyone not listed on the application will not be eligible for complimentary badges)
If you have already purchased or otherwise obtained your badges for Animé Los Angeles 15, you will not receive an additional badges. If you are Staff or are getting your badges for free (pass-on, prize, etc.) you will not receive an additional badges.
No transfers, roll-overs, pass-ons, or refunds will be given. Animé Los Angeles is a volunteer-run convention sponsored by the Institute for Specialized Literature Inc., an IRS-recognized 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. We thank you for your support.
Parking is NOT covered as part of your programming item. You are responsible for ALL parking charges while attending Animé Los Angeles 15. If you are staying at one of our hotels, parking is free. If you are coming in for the day and will be parking at the Convention Center, parking is $7/per day.
Submission Deadline is December 20th, 2018
To apply to compete, please click our Submission Form link below.
You will be notified before January 1st, 2019 if your entry has been accepted or declined. Not all entries will be approved- only 10 entries will be accepted, with a wait-list of 3 bands. If there are any drop-outs, those bands on the wait-list will be offered a slot before the start of the convention.
For any Questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org and cc email@example.com
Nothing from July 23, 2019 to July 23, 2020.